Saturday, July 13, 2013
Colorful table and chairs
Colorful table and chairs
This was my inspiration for this project. I seen it on Pinterest. It was pinned by Allthingsthrifty.com.
Here's my DIY project!
I had 3 of these chairs.
They were given to me and sat in the garage for some time. We recently moved to a very small space and had to decide whether these chairs would come to our new space. I don't know why but I couldn't part with them.
I still wasn't positive that I wanted to put the time into repainting and recovering these chairs. I looked on Craigs list to see if I could find anything that might work better for me, but my search only made me more satisfied with what I already had to work with. Once I was positive, I went shopping for supplies.
I chose to use this paint from Lowe's, they have lots of colors and these samples are 8oz and cost $3.00 each.
I only used about half of the sample for each chair.
I also purchased primer, because in my research I was able to quickly determine that this was a must. I also remember past projects where I had not applied a primer and the final outcome was SIMPLY not good.
Next step was to remove the cushions, they were attached by 4 screws from the underside.
I used some dish soap, warm water, soft cloth and wiped down lightly, let dry.
I lightly sanded the wood. I had read that this would give the paint something to grab on to, something to sink it's teeth into.
Next, applied the primer and let dry overnight.
Painted each chair a different color. Let dry overnight.
Applied a protective finish...my research showed that a good choice was Miniwax polycrylic finish. Again, let dry overnight.
Next was the cushions. I ordered this fabric online at fabricguru.com. I know that it is a kind of a busy pattern but, I'll SIMPLY change it, if need be, in the future.
There are lots of tutorials about covering chair cushions. Many instruct to take off the old covering first, but I cheated. I just covered over what was there. I was thinking that removing the cover might reveal a problem with the padding and since there weren't any rips,tears or holes, I just went for it.
I looked for the tutorial that I used for this but have been unable to find it. Here's what I think is important for you to know.
Cut the fabric several inches larger than the seat cushion.
I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the underside of seat. I stapled first in middle of each side, pulling tight before each staple, work your way to the corners. At corners you'll have to fold and pull tight, just SIMPLY take your time and work with it. You don't want big folds on the seat cushion when you turn it over. Sorry no pixs of this step as I have already completed this DIY project
I sprayed the cushion with Scotchguard prior to putting it back in place with the screws that I had removed. I put 2 coats and let dry.
In the future, I'll share about the table that goes with these chairs.
Please leave any comments and/or questions, I'd love to hear from you and I will be happy to help! Also, if you google and/or look on Pinterest, you will find tons of ideas and tutorials.