Tuesday, August 20, 2013

DIY Long desk built with 2 x 4s and filing cabinets

 
DIY Desk built with 2 x 4's and filing cabinets
 

This is the desk that I built, with some help from my son and husband.
 
I was inspired to build this desk by a tutorial that I seen on Pinterest, it was posted by LaughterandGrace.com. It was a great tutorial! Here is a pix of that desk.
 

 
 
 Didn't know if I could make one as nice as this but....I sure was going to try.
 
We had just moved into this small space and we had to get rid of a lot of BIG furniture. So, I kept and bought with us what I hoped would fit into our new small space. Here is a look at one wall of our bedroom, which had a small desk, with one file drawer, a small chest which held all of our office stuff and the printer/fax on top, chest of drawers and a bookcase. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't functional, it simply didn't flow.
 


             But, we made do until we could figure out something else.

Then, I seen the above DIY desk and I had a vision, I just needed focus. So..
 

First.....I spent weeks looking for filing cabinets on Craigslist (I had looked in retail stores and the cabinets I was hoping for were very expensive). Then, one day I found 2 of these on Craigslist.....I was so excited. They were in great shape and cost $30 each.
 

 
Next, a trip to Home Depot to buy 6-6ft 2x4's (the depth of the filing cabinets was 24 inches), some stain, paintbrush and I was ready to go. My husband and I sanded the planks, I stained and polyurethaned and then I enlisted my sons help in securing the 2x4's together.  He just used some strips of scrap wood, cut to size (24 inches) and nailed them along the bottom side.I didn't get a picture of this but it is covered beautifully on the LaughterandGrace.com tutorial. The wood cost about $18, the stain about $7, I already had the polyurethane. So total cost was about $85 for this beautiful ccustom desk with lots of storage.
 
Here we go, just getting started. We had a good amount of sanding to do.
 
 
 
 
 I applied 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of polyurethane. then, fasten together on the underside with 2-1x1 strips....  
And.....we are ready to take inside and place on top of the file cabinets.  
 
 

Our new desk looks great in our bedroom/office. Makes this small space a little prettier, and it's a lot more functional..Having all that space for files and storage is such a plus. I really love it. 
   
 






One thing that I must note here, the 2x4's were not truly 4 inches wide, more like 3.5 inches wide. therefore my desk top, which needed to be 24 inches wide, the depth of my file cabinets, was only about 21 inches. So...I have space on the backside, so I will be purchasing one more 2x4, sanding, staining, placing on the backside and attaching to the others. I had no idea to check the width of the wood....good learning experience.